North Wheeling Historic Houses Open for Tour Sunday
By LINDA COMINS
Area residents may tour 15 historic houses in North Wheeling from 1-5 p.m. Sunday and, in the process, help to save two antebellum buildings that have significant structural damage.
The city of Wheeling, Wheeling Heritage, Victorian Old Town Association, Wheeling Young Preservationists and Friends of Wheeling have formed a partnership to save two endangered rowhouses at 722 and 724 Main St. Jeanne Finstein, president of Friends of Wheeling, said the goal is to raise enough money to repair the exterior of the two rowhouses, then sell the property to a developer to restore the houses’ interior. The endangered houses won’t be on the tour because of safety concerns.
Originally, 16 historic houses were set to be open for Sunday’s fundraising tour, but Finstein said the owner of the Edward and Jessie List Hazlett House, 823 Main St., withdrew from the event because of a family illness.
Tour houses will be clearly identified. The Oglebay Park trolley will provide transportation from the surface lot on the west side of the 10th Street garage to 727 Main St., which marks the middle section of the tour.
Reduced-price tour tickets can be purchased today at the Wheeling Heritage office, Artisan Center, 1400 Main St.; Eckhart House, 810 Main St., 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday; or the UPS Store, Washington Avenue, during regular business hours. Full-price tickets can be purchased Sunday at 921 Main St., 624 Main St. or 805 Market St.
Sites on the tour are as follows:
∫ Friends of Wheeling House, 921 Main St., a high-style, Second Empire home built in 1887. The three-story house displays fine workmanship in both the interior and exterior. Queen Anne details are found in the interior woodwork. Lincrusta wainscoting lines the hall and stairway. Exterior features of note are sandstone foundation walls, molded brick walls, incised sandstone door and window lintels, elaborate cornice decoration, projecting bay supported by egg-and-dart brick corbelling and mansard roof.
∫ John K. List House, 821 Main St., built circa 1893. It is primarily of the Queen Anne style, with a steep roof, rounded front, entrance portico, terra cotta trim, pediment above the rounded front with a Palladian window and gable dormer with pediment.
∫ Robert Gibson House, 817 Main St., a two-story Greek Revival structure built in the late 1850s by an Irish immigrant who was a “tobacconist.”
∫ Seybold Apartments, 814 Main St., circa 1911-12. With the only white facade in North Wheeling, the three-story building stands out for its hue and its classical revival design. Large Corinthian pilasters with ornate capitals support a massive cornice with egg and dart trim. A brick parapet sits atop a projecting cornice.
∫ George W. Eckhart House, 810 Main St., built in 1892. With most of its original architectural features well preserved, the three-story, red brick townhouse is a fine example of a Queen Anne building. It has a Romanesque arched brick porch that was an early 20th-century addition. The facade features a distinctive oriel window with a painted, pressed metal pendant at the bottom. Elaborate interior detailing includes numerous decorative mantels with glazed tile surrounds and hearths, ornamental fretwork and spindlework, and lincrusta wainscoting.
∫ George Boyd House, 741 Main St., built in the 1860s in the Italianate style. Features include a stained glass window from the former Sacred Heart Catholic Church, a tin ceiling and old brick fireplace.
∫ Joseph Hedges House, 734 Main St., built circa 1894 as half of a twin townhouse. Spectacular stained-glass windows highlight the lower level. Other architectural features include sandstone arches and corbeled brick and classic triangular pediments over extended oriel windows. Metal finials and a parapet are highlights of the roofline.
∫ Irwin-Mathison House, 727 Main St., constructed circa 1865, with a simple, little-decorated facade that was typical of pre-Victorian taste.
∫ Alfred Marks House, 725 Main St., circa 1850s. It is a vernacular brick, two-story structure with stone lintels and sill and a metal cornice that extends across 727 Main St.
∫ William Goering House, 701 Main St., is the only true Second Empire structure and one of the few free-standing homes in the North Wheeling Historic District. An open staircase leads to the second and third floors. Lincrusta accents the wall of the main floor stair. Virtually every room has a tiled fireplace with a carved wood mantel. Oak floors are found throughout the house; door trim and crown molding are intact. Heavy panel doors on the first floor have original faux finishes of burled wood grain. A small front court is enclosed within one of the few remaining iron fences in North Wheeling.
∫ Phillips-Moser House, 655 Main St., a Federal-style house, built around 1843. The facade has a corbeled brick cornice, segmented arch dormers and simple stone lintels and sills. The interior has much of its original woodwork.
∫ Arthur M. Phillips House, 653 Main St., dating possibly to 1831, which makes it one of the oldest houses in Wheeling. After a disastrous fire in 1996, the building remained a burned-out shell for nearly eight years before being restored as a single-family home.
∫ Edward Kramer House, 624 Main St., built circa 1901. The two-and-one-half story, two-bay, four-square residence has a brick facade, slate roof and stucco-covered foundation. The first story has a modified Palladian window with a rounded arch transept.
∫ Reiss-Beltz House, 805 Market St., built around 1874. The design is vernacular with a mix of architectural trim details.
∫ Scroggins House, 737 Market St., built in the early 1900s as a private residence. Later, it housed American Legion Post 1, Seeing Hand Association and businesses. It is once again a single-family home.