Fire Damages Home

Paula Trigg and her children were attending church when their Belmont home caught fire Sunday evening, and Trigg feels blessed that no one was injured in the blaze.

Bob Mills, assistant chief of the Belmont Volunteer Fire Department, said the fire was reported at 6:15 p.m. Sunday.

He speculated it was electrical in origin. Mills said the blaze broke out in the basement of Trigg’s John Street home and advanced through the walls, especially in an area between the original construction and an addition.

As a result of the fire, the home sustained some structural damage to the floor joists, as well as heavy smoke and water damage and moderate fire damage.

Mills said it cannot be occupied at this time.

Trigg, a member of the fire department, said she and her daughter and son are staying with her parents, who live just outside the village. She said the children often stay with her mother while she is working, so they had clothing stored there and are not in need of anything. Trigg bought some new clothes for herself on Monday.

“We are just very blessed,” Trigg said, noting the family owned the home and that it was insured.