Veterans Day Services Set
OHIO VALLEY – Several local communities will observe the Veterans Day holiday today through Monday. Planned events include:
– WHEELING – The students of St. Vincent de Paul Parish School invite the public to a Veterans Day Memorial Service at 9:30 a.m. Monday at St Vincent de Paul Parish Church, 2244 Marshall Ave.
– ST. CLAIRSVILLE – American Legion Post 159 and VFW Post 5356 will hold a Veteran’s Day ceremony in front of the Belmont County Courthouse at 11 a.m. Monday. There will be an Honor Guard Tribute, Taps, a guest speaker and other participants.
– WHEELING – American Legion Post 1 at 86 16th St. is honoring veterans with two free dinners in November. A spaghetti dinner with salad will be held 3-6 p.m. Sunday. A pasta dinner with non-alcoholic beverages will be served 6-8 p.m.
Call 304-219-2001 for details.
– MOUNDSVILLE – Proceeds from the showing of the locally made, patriotic film ”Doughboy” at 1 p.m. Sunday at the Strand Theatre in Moundsville will benefit Helping Heroes, a veterans’ service organization located on Jefferson Avenue.
The production company is releasing the movie for a one-time showing for Veterans Day.
Tickets will be available at the door. For more information, visit the Strand on Facebook or call 304-845-3431.
– MARTINS FERRY – A Veterans Day Celebration will take place at 11 a.m. today at the city park.
The guest speaker will be Marine Sgt. Maj. Lee Bonar Jr., a Bronze Star recipient and winner of the Presidential Citation award who has served two combat tours.
A new memorial will be dedicated at the park. The Jr. ROTC will participate in the memorial service with a choir, bugles, and bagpipes.
– WELLSBURG – Dedication of the Brooke County Veterans Memorial Park and a Veterans Day memorial service will be held Sunday at Brooke Hills Park, Washington Pike.
Music will be performed by Gem City Brass at 1:30 p.m., followed by the program at 2 p.m. This will include a flag raising, keynote speaker attorney Dave B. Cross and presentations to the foundation.
The memorial was built to honor all service members from Brooke County.
– MOUNDSVILLE – The annual Moundsville Veterans Day service will take place at 1 p.m. Sunday at the All-Wars Memorial Marker on the lawn of the Marshall County Courthouse.
The speaker will be retired Air Force Brigadier Gen. John F. Sievertson, a native of Glen Dale who spent 30 years on active duty, retiring in 1989. He piloted Air Force One from 1981-83.
The service will include a POW/MIA Empty Chair ceremony; author Gary Rider, who has compiled three volumes of Marshall County Patriots & Heroes; and the laying of flowers at the Memorial Marker.
Music will be provided by the Moundsville Middle School Band.