Innocent Plea In Abuse Case
Already convicted of committing sex crimes against a child in Ohio, William Redman is accused of sexually assaulting and abusing a juvenile female over a period of years in West Virginia.
An Ohio County grand jury indicted the 61-year-old last week on charges of first-degree sex assault, first-degree sexual abuse and sexual abuse by a custodian. He pleaded innocent during docket day proceedings Thursday in Ohio County Circuit Court.
According to State Police Sgt. Scott Adams, Redman sexually assaulted and abused the girl, who is now 17 years old, multiple times while she was between the ages of 4 and 11.
Child Protective Services referred the allegations to State Police, who subsequently launched a “lengthy” investigation, Adams said.
Ohio County Circuit Judge James Mazzone scheduled the first day of Redman’s trial for April 8. If convicted on all counts, he faces 61-135 years in prison. He is being held without bond in the Northern Regional Jail in Moundsville.
Redman served prison time in Ohio for a 2006 Belmont County conviction in which he was found guilty of committing sex crimes against a 9-year-old boy, according to Adams. Redman is a registered sex offender, and Belmont County sheriff’s deputies arrested him last week before he was extradited to West Virginia on Wednesday.
Adams said Redman was charged with another felony sex crime in Ohio in 2008, but he ultimately pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor.
Mazzone or Ohio County Circuit Judge David Sims also accepted innocent pleas from and scheduled trials for the following individuals Thursday:
- Robert Robertson, 52, of Wheeling, malicious wounding, April 16.
- Anne Vaughan, 45, of Wheeling, burglary and conspiracy, March 13.
- Steven Riley, 34, of Dubois, Pa., second-offense unlawful taking of a vehicle and possession of a stolen vehicle, March 27.
- Gina Jerrome, 28, of Wheeling, grand larceny and conspiracy, March 19.
- Jacob Christopher, 24, of Wheeling, grand larceny and conspiracy, March 19.
- Kasie Morgan, 20, of Columbus, grand larceny, conspiracy and third-offense shoplifting, April 1.
- Julian Green, 29, of Bellaire, wanton endangerment, March 25.
- Kristen Fox, 25, of Wheeling, burglary, March 13.
- Dasere Bryant, 20, of Wheeling, burglary and conspiracy, March 4.
- Frederick Higgins, 31, of Wheeling, malicious wounding, April 1.
- Melvin Crow, 33, of Glen Easton, W.Va., entering without breaking, May 6.
- Larry McElfresh Jr., 24, of Wheeling, third-offense domestic violence, March 29.
- Jeremy Gorayeb, 30, of Wheeling, third-offense domestic battery, April 15.
- Christopher Saleone, 33, of Wheeling, robbery, May 1.
- Anthony DeCollo II, 29, of Wheeling, distribution of a schedule I narcotic controlled substance, conspiracy to distribute a schedule I narcotic controlled substance and conspiracy to distribute a non-narcotic controlled substance, March 22.
- Justin Parsons, 23, of Wheeling, delivery of a schedule II controlled substance and conspiracy, April 8.
- Louis Biery, 28, of Wheeling, breaking and entering and conspiracy, April 10.
- Brandon Biery, 25, of Wheeling, breaking and entering and conspiracy, April 10.