Marshall School Board Makes No Move on New Super

After meeting for nearly three hours Tuesday, the Marshall County Board of Education made no decision on the district’s new superintendent.

The board met behind closed doors to discuss the superintendent issue.

The district has been searching to fill the position for the past two months since Superintendent Fred Renzella announced his retirement, which becomes effective after the school year ends.

The district hired Howard O’Cull, executive director of the West Virginia School Building Authority, to lead the search. Candidates chosen by O’Cull from the application process were interviewed Saturday by three separate committees, including teacher and personnel representatives and the board of education. The board had previously set an early April deadline for selecting a new superintendent, as the district must also search to replace the retiring Wayne Simms, who serves as assistant superintendent.

Board member Lori Kestner said Tuesday that the board will announce Renzella’s replacement at its April 4 meeting.

Also during Tuesday’s meeting, the board voted unanimously to sell the former Cameron High School to the city of Cameron for $100.

The sale, scheduled to happen during a board meeting last week, was delayed until Tuesday to allow teachers and other personnel to review items left at the building for possible use elsewhere in the district.

Board member John Miller, who originally raised concerns over the equipment, read two letters from teachers at John Marshall High School expressing interest in math and science equipment. He said he wanted to ensure all teachers and district personnel had a chance to tour the school before the building and all remaining equipment were sold to the city.

However, Simms said principals had been notified at least three times to review items at the building, and they were also instructed to list any items they may need. He said that information was also to be shared with teachers and other faculty.

Cameron Mayor Julie Beresford said the city would have no issue with district officials taking time to remove any items from the building, though she said a firm time frame needed to be put in place.

The property was approved for transfer to the city with a one-week stipulation to allow those items to be taken. Simms said the deed would be given to city officials today.

The board also met in executive session Tuesday to discuss plans for renovations at John Marshall High School. No action was taken on the matter, and it was tabled until a later date.