Spring Cleaning Time
With spring just around the corner, Ohio County residents may want to take stock of their unwanted belongings for the county’s upcoming Solid Waste Authority Spring Cleanup.
Dumpsters will be available from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the following dates for Ohio County residents only:
– April 4 – Bethlehem, ballfields located across from Ernie’s Esquire
– April 4 – Patterson ballfield, Patterson Avenue, Elm Grove
– April 6 – Stone Church Volunteer Fire Department
– April 11 – Wheeling Island Marina
– April 18 – Pleasanton Playground near Wheeling Jesuit University
– April 20 – Triadelphia, lot next to Town Hall off U.S. 40
– April 20 – Valley Grove Volunteer Fire Department
– April 25 – Garden Park in Warwood
– April 27 – West Liberty, Christian Church parking lot
– April 27 – Clearview Community Center
– May 2 – 35th Street near Wheeling Middle School
The cleanup is not for commercial or industrial use.
Tammy Bonar, authority director, said the service, offered at no cost to residents since 1990, is funded by the state of West Virginia, which divides funding collected via landfill tipping fees among all counties.
”Typically it costs $25,000 to $30,000 a year to do it,” Bonar said. ”In 2012, we collected a total of 200 tons.”
Bonar said in Ohio County, Republic Services is the only company capable of hauling the large roll-off containers used during the cleanup.
The following items will not be accepted: tires, car batteries, large appliances, motor oil, paint and any other potentially hazardous material. No TVs or computer monitors will be taken. And no scavenging is allowed.
Bonar said people should be prepared to show identification at the drop-off sites, which will be monitored by city, town and village officials.
For more information, call 304-234-3884.
Bonar noted the authority’s annual hazardous waste cleanup is being planned for September.