Parents Plead Innocent in Child’s Death
Edward Cole Jr. and Cindy Cole pleaded innocent Thursday to allegations that their neglect led to the fatal drug overdose of their 3-year-old daughter in March 2012.
Edward Cole, 38, and Cindy Cole, 28, each pleaded innocent to a single count of child neglect resulting in death during docket day proceedings in Ohio County Circuit Court. Judge James Mazzone scheduled their trial for Aug. 13.
Patience Cole died on March 4, 2012, after ingesting prescription antidepressants at her family’s home on Wheeling Island, according to Ohio County Prosecutor Scott Smith. Smith attributed the delay in the indictment against the girl’s parents to an “extensive investigation” by the Wheeling Police Department, which included an autopsy and lab work.
Edward Cole was transported from court to the Northern Regional Jail in Moundsville, where he remained late Thursday on $50,000 bond. Cindy Cole posted the $50,000 bond at court and remained free Thursday.
Mazzone and Ohio County Circuit Judge David Sims also accepted innocent pleas from and scheduled trials for the following individuals Thursday:
- Joseph Jones, 32, of Wheeling, abduction with intent to defile, three counts of second-degree sexual assault and three counts of third-degree sexual assault, Sept. 4.
- Mark Wise, 52, of Wheeling, first-degree sexual assault, sexual abuse by parent, guardian or custodian, Aug. 1.
- Thomas McLeod, 34, of Wheeling, two counts of first-degree sexual assault, Aug. 28.
- Timothy Belle, 29, of Toledo, Ohio, first-degree robbery and entering without breaking, July 8.
- Michael Kandis, 29, of Wheeling, conspiracy, burglary and three counts of second-degree robbery, Aug. 12.
- Matthew Hartung, 20, of Wheeling, first-degree robbery, Aug. 20.
- Walter Battle, 25, of Pittsburgh, possession with intent to deliver and transportation of controlled substance into state with intent to deliver, July 16.
- Gregory Allen, 25, of Bridgeport, two counts of possession with intent to deliver and two counts of transportation of controlled substance into state with intent to deliver, July 10.
- Michael Bowman, 33, of Triadelphia, two counts of fraud in connection with an access device and entering without breaking.
- Earl Stewart, 57, of Wheeling, entering without breaking, Aug. 5.
- Dustin Brozowski, 33, of Wheeling, attempted murder and malicious assault, June 26.
- Christopher Gyorko, 29, of Glen Dale, third-offense domestic battery and malicious assault, July 17.
- John Hoover, aka John Luckett, 40, of Martins Ferry, fleeing while DUI and reckless fleeing, July 11.
- Christopher Parker, 24, of Wheeling, breaking and entering, July 22.
- Valerie Williams, 29, of Martins Ferry, grand larceny and conspiracy, July 24.
- James Gray, 35, of Moundsville, grand larceny, Aug. 7.
- Thomas Auten, 24, of Wheeling, malicious assault, Aug. 26.
- Benjamin Lobb, 36, of Tunnelton, W.Va., third-offense domestic battery and malicious assault, July 18.
- Joseph Paree, 24, of Triadelphia, delivery of a schedule II controlled substance and conspiracy, July 30.
- Micah Sexton, 30, of Triadelphia, delivery of a schedule II controlled substance and conspiracy, July 30.
- Rocco Pandoli, 24, aiding and abetting the delivery of a schedule II controlled substance and conspiracy, July 9.
- Lisa Smithnosky, 35, delivery of a schedule III controlled substance, delivery of a schedule III controlled substance within 1,000 feet of a school and delivery of a schedule II controlled substance within 1,000 feet of a school, July 2.
- Robert Lawson, 27, of Wheeling, malicious assault, Aug. 8.
- Robert Wallace, 40, of Wheeling, three counts of delivery of a schedule II controlled substance, July 18.