Neighbors Help Man Escape From Burning House

A man escaped injury Tuesday afternoon thanks to neighbors who pulled him out of a window after his house on West 42nd Street in Shadyside caught fire.

The resident was sleeping in the home’s upstairs bedroom when the fire started in the first-story living room at about 4 p.m. Tuesday. His neighbors alerted him to the blaze. They instructed him to go to the nearest window, and helped him out of the burning structure.

A small dog was pulled from the home uninjured as well. The man’s wife was not home when the fire started, but later arrived at the scene.

Ohio River & Western Fire District Chief Dave Lenz said flames were shooting from the front of the structure when crews arrived on scene.

The first-floor interior sustained heavy smoke and fire damage, he said.

The home’s front facade was also covered in black residue from the smoke that billowed out of the windows.

Although Lenz said the fire is not suspicious, a state fire marshal was en route to the scene late Tuesday afternoon to investigate what may have started the blaze.

In addition to OR&W, firefighters from Neffs and Martins Ferry responded to the home. American Electric Power was called to cut power to the residence, and a Salvation Army Emergency Disaster Service vehicle was also on scene.