Trial Date Set In Abuse Case
Ohio County Circuit Judge James Mazzone on Thursday scheduled a trial date for the parents who in July allegedly locked their 9-year-old son in a hot car while they shoplifted from a store at The Highlands.
A grand jury indicted Stephen Clemens and Jeanette Darnley last week on felony charges of child neglect creating substantial risk of serious bodily injury or death and entering without breaking.
During Thursday’s docket day proceedings, Clemens, 25, and Darnley, 28, both of Wheeling appeared with separate attorneys and entered innocent pleas to all charges. Mazzone scheduled their trial for Oct. 23.
It was about 90 degrees and a heat advisory was in effect on the day an Ohio County sheriff’s deputy found the boy locked inside the car. The child was “covered in sweat,” court documents state.
Clemens and Darnley allegedly left the boy inside the car in the parking lot for 20 minutes while they were shoplifting inside the store. The deputy was responding to the reported shoplifting when a man in the parking lot alerted him to the child inside the car.
Mazzone and Circuit Judge David Sims on Thursday also accepted innocent pleas from and set trial dates for the following individuals:
- Corey Henry, 29, of Wheeling, abduction with intent to defile and second-degree sexual assault, Jan. 6.
- Travis Hogle, 22, of Wheeling, three counts of felony child abuse resulting in serious injury, Dec. 12.
- Lawrence West Jr., 32, of Wheeling, seven counts of third-degree sexual assault, seven counts of sex assault by a parent, guardian or custodian and seven counts of incest, Dec. 2.
- Timothy Holbrook Jr., 34, of Mineral Wells, W.Va., four counts of felony child abuse resulting in injury, Dec. 9
- James Bloom, 44, of Wheeling, two counts of felony child abuse resulting in injury, Dec. 4.
- Bradley Patchin, 24, of Weirton, attempted kidnapping, stalking and misdemeanor domestic battery, Dec. 2.
- Simon McAteer, 27, of Wheeling, malicious assault, Dec. 18.
- Charles Seamon, 27, of Cameron, two counts of third-degree sexual assault, Nov. 13.
- Robert Taggart, 39, of Wheeling, five counts of malicious assault, Dec. 9.
- Damion Green, 36, of Wheeling, reckless fleeing in a vehicle, malicious assault on a government representative and attempt to disarm a law enforcement officer, Nov. 4.
- Paul Goff Jr., 45, of Wheeling, two counts of third-offense domestic violence, Oct. 21.
- Geoffrey Conaway, 29, of Wheeling, possession with intent to deliver a schedule I controlled substance (heroin) within 1,000 feet of a school and delivery of a schedule I controlled substance (heroin) within 1,000 feet of a school, Nov. 29.
- Kayla Mills, 19, of Wheeling, malicious assault, Nov. 6.
- Jeffrey Riffle, 31, of Wheeling, third-offense domestic violence, Nov. 7.
- Terrance Holley, 38, of Martins Ferry, second-degree robbery and misdemeanor fleeing in a vehicle, Jan. 8.
- Keith Coleman, 33, of Columbus, Ohio, possession with intent to deliver a schedule II controlled substance (cocaine), transportation of a schedule II controlled substance (cocaine) into the state with intent to deliver and conspiracy to transport a schedule II controlled substance (cocaine) into the state with intent to deliver, Nov. 21.
- Bobby Shannon, 46, of Wheeling, two counts of malicious wounding, Nov. 26.
- Terry L. Watts Sr., 54, three counts of uttering and three counts of forgery, Oct. 15.