Pipe Creek Home Burns

Fire destroyed the home of Larry and Jo Ann Palmer on Friday on Pipe Creek Road near Powhatan.

Firefighters from several departments responded to the afternoon fire after neighbors called 911 to report smoke coming from the structure.

John Shaver, assistant chief of the OR&W Fire Department in Shadyside, said the fire presented challenges to first responders.

“It appears it started in the basement near the rear of the building,” Shaver said. “It looks like it burned through the first floor and then became trapped after the ceiling collapsed.”

Shaver said the homeowners were not at home when the fire broke out.

“The neighbors saw smoke rolling out of the house and they called,” he said. “The also removed the family pets from the home. Nobody was hurt.”

In addition to OR&W, units from the Powhatan and Spirit of 76 fire departments responded.

Neighbors and friends comforted the Palmers as they stood helplessly watching their home be destroyed.

As firefighters broke out windows and cut large holes in the side of the home with chainsaws, it became apparent that everything except outside Christmas decorations had been lost.

Shaver declined to speculate on a dollar value of the structure and its contents.