Couple Facing Charges of Child Neglect
A Wheeling couple, Nylla F. Gilliland and Chad A. Kendle, will go on trial in August to answer charges alleging they injured and failed to feed their 10-month-child.
Circuit Judge James Mazzone set Aug. 11 as a trial date after both individuals pleaded not guilty during docket day proceedings Tuesday.
Earlier this month, an grand jury indicted Gilliland on a single count of child neglect resulting in injury and Kendle on the same charge plus a charge of child abuse causing substantial bodily harm.
A police report states between Oct. 4, 2012 and Aug. 14, 2013, Gilliland, 27, and Kendle, 29, failed to follow the child’s feeding routine created by health issues.
The report states that West Virginia Department of Health and Human resources officials had been contacted by doctors at UPMC Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh concerning the child.
Doctors told authorities the child suffered from unbelievable starvation and had injuries consistent with being shaken.
According to the report, Kendle told Gilliland he had injured the child.
He said he was taking care of the child while the mother was intoxicated and asleep. He allegedly shook the child because it was crying. Mazzone set a pre-trial hearing date of July 23 for the defendants.
After hearing not guilty pleas in several cases, Mazzone also set trial dates for the following individuals:
- James Anthony Stein, 46 counts of uttering, July 9.
- Pernell A. Deck, malicious assault, Aug. 5.
- James Lavern Jeter Jr., domestic violence third offense, Aug. 14.
- Kevin Eugene McNeely, shoplifting third offense, July 30.
- Juan Harris, attempted murder, Aug. 13.
- Lawrence August Katrencik, entering without breaking, did not appear, no trial date set.
- Andre Morrell Smith, delivery of a controlled substance, July 31.
No dates were set for two unidentified defendants who remain at large.