Two Dead After Trucks Collide At Tappan Lake

A semi and a pickup truck collided Wednesday at approximately 7:30 a.m. on U.S. 250 in Harrison County, killing two Ohio men.

The accident claimed the lives of the driver and passenger of the Ford pickup and sent the driver of the semi to a local hospital to be treated for injuries described as non-life threatening.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol troopers on the scene said that an eyewitness gave an account of the accident.

The reports indicate the tractor-trailer, driven by David Allison, 56, of Jerusalem, Ohio, was traveling east on U.S. 250 toward Cadiz and slowed to make a left turn onto Ohio 646.

The eyewitness reported the semi was using turn signals indicating the turn when the pickup pulled into the westbound lanes to go around the slowed vehicle and was struck by the rig, sending both vehicles through the guardrail at the intersection of the two state highways and down an embankment into Tappan Lake. There was no indication whether the pickup truck was unable to stop or attempting to pass when the collision occurred. Both vehicles continued by overturning into Tappan Lake.

Charles G. Arbuckle, 43, of Dennison, Ohio was operating the 2000 Ford F350, pulling a trailer that was hauling a track hoe. Jeremy J. Hidey, 39, of Sherrodsville, Ohio, was the passenger in the pickup.

Both Arbuckle and Hidey were trapped in the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of the Mack truck was transported to Twin City Hospital in Dennison with minor injuries.

According to volunteer firefighters on the scene, the goose neck trailer and track-hoe landed on top of the pickup truck that was pulling it, and first responders had to wade into the waist-deep water to extricate the victims from the wreckage.

A pontoon boat was used to aid in the clean-up efforts.

Authorities closed U.S. 250 at U.S. 22 and Ohio 151 and Ohio 646 from Scio to U.S. 250 after the accident. Both routes remained closed for several hours, stranding other semis while crews cleaned up and law enforcement investigated the accident scene.

To aid the investigation, an OSHP aircraft was called in to photograph the crash site from the air.

The investigation is still pending.