Jordan Davis Murder Trial Delayed Until February in Wheeling Island Death

Jordan Davis III, one of two men charged in connection with the May 9 murder of Ahmid Hinton on Wheeling Island, saw his trial date delayed until February as Ohio County Circuit Judge David Sims considers several motions regarding evidence in the case.

The case had been set for trial starting Jan. 3 in Ohio County Circuit Court.

“We are nowhere near ready for trial in January,” said defense attorney Mark Panepinto, who requested the court appoint a forensics expert for the case and provide transportation for the jury to view the crime scene during the trial.

Sims set a new trial date for Feb. 12 and approved Panepinto’s requests.

He also is considering video interviews provided by the Wheeling Police Department as evidence.

One of the videos included in an interview between Davis and Wheeling police Sgt. Matthew Taylor, who testified during Wednesday’s hearing, discussing Davis’ rights and the murder charge against him.

Davis’ brother, DeAndre Davis, also is charged with murder in connection with the fatal shooting of Hinton, 41.

His trial has been continued until the next term of the court, with a status hearing set for Jan. 18.

Other pending sources of evidence in the case include an autopsy report on Hinton and a firearm discovered on Main Street Terrace, Panepinto argued.

Sims also will review body camera footage from Wheeling police officers to determine its admissibility at trial.

Both Jordan Davis and DeAndre Davis have pleaded not guilty to charges of murder and attempted murder.

They are being held at the Northern Regional Jail in Moundsville as they await their separate trial dates.

Jordan Davis was arrested in late July, but DeAndre Davis evaded police for about three months before his Oct. 31 arrest in South Wheeling.

At about 1:40 a.m. May 9, officers responded to the area of South Penn and Zane streets on Wheeling Island after hearing multiple gunshots.

Upon their arrival, according to a criminal complaint, officers discovered Hinton on the ground with his brother, William Hinton, standing beside him.

Although Hinton was conscious when officers arrived, he later died at the Ohio Valley Medical Center.

At the scene, Hinton told officers “D.D. did, man,” when they asked him who had shot him, according to the complaint. “D.D.” is a nickname for DeAndre Davis, according to police.

The complaint states Hinton died before police could obtain any further statements from him.

Evidence in the case also includes surveillance footage from the area, according to the complaint.

Less than six hours after the shooting, police reportedly found the vehicle in which the Davises allegedly fled from the scene on Kenney Street.

Inside, according to the complaint, investigators found a box to a cellphone registered to DeAndre Davis and a receipt for an Ohio defensive-driving course taken by Jordan Davis.