Bridgeport Student To Be Charged For School Threats

Charges are expected to be filed against a student who allegedly made threats at Bridgeport High School on Feb. 23.

Belmont County Prosecutor Dan Fry said he has approved a charge of “making false alarms,” which is a first-degree misdemeanor.

“We are still waiting for the officer to sign the complaint, at which time it will be filed with the court. The juvenile is not currently in custody. The court will order an appearance,” Fry said.

School officials last week would not say whether the student is enrolled in the Bridgeport school, but the noted the alleged threat that involved talk about “someone shooting,” occurred at the high school between two students the afternoon of Feb. 23. By that evening, a student had alerted school officials who, in turn, alerted law enforcement. By Sunday, parents had been notified of the alleged threat and that the school district and law enforcement were handling the situation.

School was held Monday, Feb. 26, with extra police present for parents’ and students’ peace of mind, though some parents decided to keep their children home.

Superintendent Zac Shutler last week said he could not disclose, because of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, whether the student was being kept from attending classes. He did note the student was not at the school that day.

The incident at Bridgeport came on the heels of a mass shooting that occurred at a Florida school on Feb. 14. In that case, 15 students and two teachers were killed when a man, a former student, shot them with an AR-15 rifle at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.

That shooting has sparked a nationwide movement started by the surviving students in that district.