Indian Creek Ready to Renew Push for Levy

The Indian Creek Local School District will soon begin its campaign to pass a bond issue for new and improved school buildings.

Superintendent T.C. Chappelear announced that campaign Chair Jeff Greco will hold a kickoff meeting at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Crossroads Christian Church in Wintersville. The aim is to spread the message and gather volunteers to pass the measure in May.

Officials hope to pass a 6.1-mill measure that will allow for renovations to Hills Elementary and construction of a new elementary and high school. Plans are to relocate Wintersville Elementary to the district office location along Bantam Ridge Road while the new Indian Creek High School would be built on the current campus.

District Treasurer Denise Todoroff has said the levy amount represented a decrease from the 6.49 mills asked for in November, which equates to homeowners paying $17.79 per month on a home valued at $100,000. Those eligible under the Homestead Act would pay about $13.34 on a monthly basis.

If passed, the money generated from the levy will allow the district to build the new schools and upgrade Hills Elementary. Under the program, the state will contribute 40 percent of the project if the district raises the remaining 60 percent.

Officials are optimistic the issue will pass in May, pointing out it was defeated by fewer than 200 votes in November.

COMMENTS