Grand Jury in Rape Case Taking Another Break
STEUBENVILLE – The grand jury hearing all aspects surrounding the August rape of a 16-year-old Weirton girl will be taking another three-week break as Bureau of Criminal Investigation agents continue interviews and analyzing computer equipment seized from Steubenville City Schools in April.
Dan Tierney, an Ohio Attorney General’s spokesman, said the grand jury will reconvene on June 17. The grand jury met for two days last week after another three-week delay.
Tierney said the attorney general’s office wants to take as much time as possible to do a thorough job but also is aware the office needs to bring closure to the Steubenville community.
Trent Mays, 17, of Bloomingdale and Ma’Lik Richmond, 16, of Steubenville were found guilty of rape of an underage intoxicated girl last summer. Visiting Judge Tom Lipps handed down the verdict. Mays also was found guilty of illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material for having a picture of the 16-year-old victim in an outgoing text message on his cell phone.
After their conviction, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine announced a special grand jury would look at all aspects of the case and whether additional people should be charged.
The computers seized on April 25 from Steubenville City School buildings have been sent to a BCI lab in Youngstown.
Tierney said BCI needs additional time to analyze electronic evidence but he wouldn’t confirm the delay was related to the examination of the computers seized.
The grand jury has only heard five days of evidence since it was seated on April 15.