Jury Has Fort Hood Shooting Case
FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) – The Army psychiatrist on trial for the 2009 shooting rampage at Fort Hood passed on his final chance to address jurors before they started deliberating Thursday, even after prosecutors insisted they hand down a verdict that would allow the death penalty.
Maj. Nidal Hasan is acting as his own attorney but declined to plead his case after prosecutors finished their closing argument. When the judge told Hasan he could begin, he said: “The defense chooses not to make a closing statement.”
The Army psychiatrist is facing numerous counts of premeditated murder and attempted premeditated murder for the attack, which killed 13 people and wounded more than 30 others at the Army post in central Texas on Nov. 5, 2009.
It was the deadliest mass shooting ever on a U.S. military base.
Prosecutors laid out a detailed roadmap of their case during their closing argument, saying there was no question that Hasan planned and carried out the attack.
“The facts I laid out to you give you only one option,” the prosecutor, Col. Steve Henricks, told jurors. “The accused without a doubt – without any doubt at all – had a premeditated design to kill.”
Jurors began deliberating the case just before 2 p.m. Thursday.
Hasan told jurors during a brief opening statement nearly two weeks ago that evidence would “clearly show” he was the shooter, and he described himself as a soldier who had “switched sides.”
But since then, he has sat mostly silent in his wheelchair. Hasan, who was paralyzed after being shot by officers, has raised few objections during the 13-day trial.