Kitchen Fire Sends Baby to Hospital

STEUBENVILLE – City firefighters responded to a kitchen fire Monday afternoon that sent a 4-week-old baby to Trinity Medical Center West for a precautionary evaluation.

Assistant Fire Chief Frank DeLeonardis said his crew was conducting a drill when the call came into the fire station at approximately 3:15 p.m.

“We arrived in minutes, but Anthony Hanlin, the tenant living in the house at 626 Prospect Ave., had already run outside to grab a fire hose and had knocked down the grease fire in the kitchen. We sent his 4-week-old baby to the hospital as a precautionary move because there was so much smoke in the house from the grease fire,” DeLeonardis said.

“We don’t encourage residents to fight a fire on their own because the smoke and heat can become so intense so quickly it will knock you down before you know it.

“The fire had reached the cupboards before it was put out so we had to open up a couple walls and the ceiling area in the kitchen to check for hot spots. We also shut off the power to the house until the landlord can have the wiring inspected to make sure there are no shorts because of the water sprayed on the fire.

“This one had a happy ending because no one was injured and they got their dog outside very quickly.”

Meanwhile, a tanker truck fire on Interstate-470 late Monday shut down one of the eastbound lanes on Interstate-470 for approximately one hour. The truck reportedly was carrying a hazardous material but none of the material escaped the tank. A spokesperson at the Ohio Highway Patrol in St. Clairsville said the Cumberland Trail Fire department responded and extinguished the flames. The truck was towed from the scene by Bill’s Towing.

No other information was available.