Bethlehem Shooting Still Under Investigation
BETHLEHEM — The fatal shooting of a man inside a Bethlehem home more than three months ago remains under investigation, according to the West Virginia State Police.
On the afternoon of Aug. 2, police from multiple agencies responded to a shooting at 157 Ridgecrest Road. At the time, police said the homeowner, 77-year-old Leslie Howard Jones, shot Steven Thomas Headley, 67, but there have been few updates since then.
“No charges have been filed yet and there is more information that we are waiting on to come in,” Trooper First Class C.W. Heckler, who is leading the investigation, said Friday. “We’re still looking into a few different things and some information that needs to be followed up on.”
Ohio County Prosecutor Scott Smith said he does not have any information to release regarding the case.
State police, the Bethlehem Police Department and Ohio County Sheriff’s Office responded to a 911 call reporting the shooting at about 2:19 p.m. Aug. 2. By about 3 p.m., medical personnel were seen carrying Headley out of the home on a stretcher, attempting to resuscitate him.
Headley was later pronounced dead at Ohio Valley Medical Center in Wheeling.
For several hours, investigators at the scene waited for a judge to sign a search warrant. They obtained the warrant at about 7 p.m., and police cleared the scene by about 8:30 p.m.
The initial 911 call was a report of a home invasion and a shooting, although police have never confirmed that scenario.