Pats on the Back
- To members of the Moundsville Police Department, who mounted a fund drive in October to help Central Elementary School’s Weekend Backpack program. It sends food home with children from about 28 families, but had to be discontinued because of a lack of funds. It is back in operation because of the police department’s effort, which raised about $5,000.
- To local high school students nominated to U.S. Service Academies by Sens. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va., and Joe Manchin, D-W.Va. The local students include Marshall County native Katherene Rose Welsh, Munich International School, to the Air Force Academy and the Naval Academy; Stephen Snyder, The Linsly School, Ohio County, to the Military Academy; Nicholas DeFazio, Wheeling Park High School, Ohio County, to the Merchant Marine Academy; Owen Gainer, Central Catholic High School, Ohio County, to the Merchant Marine Academy and the Air Force Academy.
- To John Mattox of Flushing, appointed by Gov. John Kasich to the Ohio Advisory Council for Aging.
- To Ohio County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Michael Olejasz, appointed by Gov. Jim Justice as a judge in the First Judicial Circuit, which serves our area. Olejasz replaces former Judge James Mazzone, who was named a U.S. magistrate.
- To Wheeling Park High School senior Anna Allman, selected as a member of the American Choral Directors’ Association’s National Honor Choir. It will perform at the group’s annual convention next February and March.