PITTSBURGH — While many people today see the Steel City only as a place to be entertained, Pittsburgh does have an intellectual and historical side that can be equally enjoyable.
The University of Pittsburgh features two distinct buildings: Heinz Chapel and the Cathedral of Learning.
Founder of the H.J. Heinz Co., Henry John Heinz, was looking for a way to honor his mother, Anna Margaretta Heinz, through a new building on the grounds of the University of Pittsburgh.
Even though Heinz died in 1919, his children carried out his will. Anna’s teaching helped them decide that a family memorial involving religion and education would be appropriate. The cornerstone was placed in 1934 and the Heinz Chapel was dedicated in 1938.
This neo-gothic structure was designed by Charles Z. Klauder of Philadelphia. Klauder also designed the Cathedral of Learning.
At 73 feet, the transept windows are among the tallest in the world. Men and women are equally represented in the chapel’s artwork, which was highly unusual for 1928 — the year it was planned. If you view nothing else in the chapel, take a few moments to look at these.
Stained glass windows line the spiral staircase to the balcony. All of the visible wood in the chapel, including the 800-pound entrance doors, is oak.