By JOSELYN KING
The Bellaire Local School District again plans to try to generate needed revenue by persuading voters to approve an additional 8.72-mill levy this fall.
Also on the ballot, seven Belmont County attorneys seek to succeed retiring Judge Harry White as Western Division Court judge. Candidates for nonpartisan office had until 4 p.m. Wednesday to file their paperwork, as did municipalities placing issues on the Nov. 6 general election ballot.
Voters in the Bellaire Local School District have rejected four attempts to raise additional revenue for the district since May 2010. In November and May 2011, residents voted down 1-percent income tax requests. They also rejected 12.9-mill levies placed before them in November and May 2010.
The current proposal would tax property owners at a rate of 8.72 mills for five years.
Among nonpartisan races, it was the upcoming vacancy in Western Division Court that sparked the most interest among candidates in Belmont County. Those filing for the seat on the bench were attorneys Charles Bean of St. Clairsville, Eric Costine of St. Clairsville, John K. "Kevin" Flanagan of Flushing, Todd Kildow of Bethesda, William Thomas of Martins Ferry, David Trouten of St. Clairsville and Helen Yonak of Jacobsburg.
Northern Division Court Judge Frank Fregiato will run unopposed for re-election, and the Eastern Division Court judge's post is not on the ballot this year.
Ninteen local issues will appear on ballots in Belmont County, as will one statewide issue. The Ohio Citizens Independent Redistricting Commission Amendment seeks to change the process for drawing legislative district lines for Ohio's congressional and state house and senate districts.
Two of the local levies are county-wide levies that go before all voters in the county:
- Belmont County Senior Services - Renewal of 1-mill levy for five years.
- Belmont County 911 - Additional 1-mill levy for five years.
The remaining issues will be on the ballot in these specific communities in the county:
- St. Clairsville and Richland Township - Additional 0.25 mills for Memorial Park District for five years.
- St. Clairsville and Richland Township - Replacement of 5-mill levy for Cumberland Trail Fire District for a continuing period of time.
- Belmont - Renewal of 2-mill levy for current operating expenses for five years.
- Bethesda - Renewal of 1.5-mill levy for streets for five years.
- Bethesda - (Precinct 049) Local liquor option, VFW Post 9712.
- Bridgeport - Renewal of 3-mill levy for current expenses for five years.
- Bridgeport - Renewal of 2-mill levy for current expenses for five years.
- Flushing - (Precinct 043) Local liquor option, Convenient Food Mart.
- Flushing - Renewal of 1-mill parks and recreation levy for five years.
- Shadyside and Mead Township Fire District - Additional 4-mill levy for a continuing period of time.
- Pease-Colerain Township Fire District - Replacement of 3-mill levy for a continuing period of time.
- Pease Township - Additional 1-mill levy for roads and bridges for a continuing period of time.
- Pease Township - Additional 1-mill levy for operating expenses for a continuing period of time.
- Smith Township - Renewal of 2-mill community center levy for five years.
- Smith Township - Renewal of 4-mill fire levy for five years.
- Smith Township - Renewal of 0.9-mill levy for roads and bridges for five years.