Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | All Access E-Edition | Home RSS

Football: Oak Glen Edges Edison

August 24, 2012
By FRED YOUNCE , Steubenville Herald Star

STEUBENVILLE - For the second straight season, the nightcap of the OVAC Kickoff Classic did not disappoint as Oak Glen and Edison put on a show for the fans in attendance at Harding Stadium.

On the heels of last season's 29-28 victory, the Golden Bears pulled out another victory this year, downing the Wildcats 37-28.

On Edison's second possession it had the first of two touchdowns called back when a 12-yard run by Chris Graziani was erased by a block in the back penalty.

That drive stalled, but the Wildcats wasted no time in taking the ball back when on Oak Glen's second play of its ensuing possession Clayton Flowers was stripped after a reception and the ball was pounced on by Edison's Matt Coppa.

Two more plays later Graziani crossed the goal line - this time it counted - on a 13-yard jaunt. Nolan Marcus punched the point after through and Edison led 7-0.

The Golden Bears ran off the next 29 points to take firm command of the game.

The first score was set up by a 76-yard run by quarterback Bub Haddox on a second-and-22 play that put the Golden Bears at the Wildcats' 6-yard line. David Campbell scored on the next play and Josh Weltner kicked the extra point to tie the game at 7-7 with 0:06 left in the first quarter..

Haddox did it all himself on Oak Glen's next opportunity, running for a 77-yard score on the possession's first play. Flowers picked up a botched snap on the extra point, rolled out and hit Cole Holloway for the 2-point conversion and a 15-7 advantage at the 10:42 mark of the second quarter.

The Oak Glen defense forced Edison into a turnover on downs that gave its offense the ball at the Wildcats 35-yard line. It took just two plays to score from there as Zack Staley ran in from 31 yards to make score 22-7 with 8:18 left in the first half.

Things went from bad to worse for the Wildcats with about four and half minutes left in the first half when Oak Glen defensive tackle Preston Murray picked off a screen pass and returned it 25 yards for the score to put it at 29-7.

Oak Glen looked set to go into the half with the big lead when momentum swung dramatically toward Edison.

The Golden Bears attempted to punt with under a minute in the first half, but the snap sailed over Weltner's head where it was picked up by Graziani at the 31-yard line and returned for a score. Ethan Shannon threw to Marcus for the 2-point conversion and the halftime lead was cut to 29-15.

Oak Glen was forced to punt on it's first possession of the second half and Weltner placed it beautifully down at the 1-yard line.

That allowed Graziani to pick up 99 the quick way as the Wildcats running back took it the distance on Edison's first play of the half. Marcus knocked through the point after and the score was 29-22 early in the third quarter.

After forcing a punt the Wildcats took over in Golden Bears territory at the 46-yard line. It took six plays to score from there with the big play being a 30-yard Marcus scamper down to the one. Marcus did the honors form there to pull within one at 29-28 with a chance to tie on the extra point.

Unfortunately for Edison that didn't happen as the point after was blocked by Oak Glen and that was as close as the Wildcats reached.

The Golden Bears marched 69 yards on nine plays including a 31-yard pass from Haddox to Flowers and a 3-yard TD run by Haddox. A second botched snap on an extra point turned out to be big for Oak Glen as Flowers again rolled out and threw a 2-point conversion pass, this time to Staley, to set the lead at two scores at 37-28.

Early in the fourth quarter Edison appeared to have made it a one score game again when Devan Tennat made a spectacular one-handed catch of a Marcus throw, but the score was called back due to a procedure penalty and the Wildcats never threatened again.

I am looking for: