A Maryland man who allegedly raped a 12-year-old girl at a city park in June and a local man accused of beating a small dog to death last month were among those indicted by an Ohio County grand jury Monday.
David Maya, 24, of Elkridge, Md., was indicted on a charge of sexual assault. Maya reportedly met a 12-year-old Wheeling girl in an Internet chat room; soon after, they exchanged contact information and began communicating via text message. Maya told the girl he was younger than his actual age, while she claimed she was older.
Maya reportedly traveled to the Belle Island playground at the north end of Wheeling Island on June 9 to meet the girl. The pair were team members during a type of hide-and-seek game that included the girl's friends, the report states. Following the game, Maya and the girl reportedly walked to a nearby wooded area where, despite her pleas to stop, he allegedly performed sex acts on her.
Maya remains in the Northern Regional Jail in Moundsville on $500,000 bond.
Anthony Doyle, 28, of Wheeling was indicted on a charge of animal cruelty. A woman told police she witnessed Doyle beat a dog to death while on the porch of a Wheeling Island residence the night of Aug. 5. She heard the dog crying before watching Doyle "dive on the dog and punch it until it went limp," a police report states. Doyle then allegedly dumped the dog's body in a weeded area near the house.
Doyle remains jailed on $25,000.
Additionally, the following individuals were indicted Monday:
- Andy Eureka, 29, of Triadelphia, first-degree sexual assault.
- Brenda Jo Wilhelm, 40, of Wheeling, conspiracy, grand larceny.
- Carson Roeder, 21, of Wheeling, entering without breaking.
- Darius Goodwin,32, of Wheeling, possession with intent to deliver a schedule I controlled substance, possession with intent to deliver a schedule II controlled substance.
- Ralph Tolbert, 55, of Wheeling, third-offense DUI.
- John Jay, 58, of Wheeling, failure to register as a sex offender.
- Matthew White, 34, of Valley Grove, third-offense DUI.
- Matthew Milton, 33, of Finley, Pa., third-offense driving while revoked for DUI, fleeing while DUI.
- Richard Lang, 42, of Wheeling, third-offense driving while revoked for DUI.
- Dennis Lucas, 38, of Cadiz, third-offense DUI.
- James Snyder III, 29, of Bellaire, fleeing while DUI.
- Gregory Nightengale, 40, of Wheeling, third-offense domestic violence, malicious assault.
- Richard Hester Jr., 45, of Triadelphia, third-offense domestic violence.
- Christopher Lovell, 30, of Wheeling, second-offense battery on a government representative.
- Albert Will, 48, no address provided, malicious assault, intimidation of a witness.
- Robert Scouler, 42, of Bellaire, fraudulent scheme.
- Anthony Carmichael, 39, of Glen Dale, possession with intent to deliver a schedule I controlled substance, manufacturing a schedule I controlled substance, delivery of a schedule II controlled substance.
- Gregory Lindsey, 26, of Cleveland, possession with intent to deliver, delivery of a schedule II controlled substance, delivery of a schedule II controlled substance within 1,000 feet of a school.
- Antonio Cunningham, 35, of Wheeling, possession with intent to deliver a schedule I controlled substance, delivery of a schedule I controlled substance, possession with intent to deliver a schedule II controlled substance, delivery of a schedule II controlled substance.
- Jerry Tamburin, 52, of Wheeling, child abuse with injury.
- Robert Holpp, 34, of Triadelphia, malicious assault, retaliation against a witness.
- Thomas Plunkett, 26, of Lorain, Ohio, breaking and entering.
- Glenn Stewart, 48, of Follansbee, daytime burglary.
The identities of other individuals who were indicted Monday will be released upon their arrest.