A preliminary hearing for Shelton Cash, the convicted murderer and alleged sex offender who was staying at a Youth Services Systems facility on Wheeling Island, was continued Friday at the request of his attorney.
Cash, 44, of Elkview, W.Va., has been charged with five counts of possession of child pornography and a single count of being a felon in possession of a firearm. He remained in the Northern Regional Jail in Moundsville in lieu of $100,000 cash bond late Friday.
Cash's attorney, Chief Public Defender Shayne Welling, on Tuesday waived the 10-day time period afforded to Cash for a preliminary hearing in Ohio County Magistrate Court. Welling noted Cash is likely to be transferred to the South Central Regional Jail in Charleston soon to face more serious charges in Kanawha County.
Last week, while Cash was lodged in the Northern Regional Jail, he was served with Kanawha County warrants charging first-degree sexual assault, third-degree sexual assault, sexual abuse by a parent, guardian or custodian and filming a minor in explicitly sexual conduct. He has a preliminary hearing scheduled for Tuesday in Kanawha County Magistrate Court.
Cash was arrested last week at the YSS facility on Indiana Street, where had been staying for about three months. West Virginia State Police said he had a cell phone containing multiple images of himself engaged in sex acts with a 12-year-old girl. Those are images of the acts that allegedly occurred in Kanawha County.
Officers also located a loaded handgun under the pillow on his bed. In 1992, Cash was convicted of first-degree murder in Kanawha County. He served 16 years in prison and was paroled in 2008.
Cash represented himself to be homeless when he reached out for assistance, YSS Executive Director John Moses said. But following his arrest, Cash told State Police he was living at the YSS facility and working locally during the week but returned to Kanawha County on the weekends.
The YSS Board of Directors issued the following statement: "Youth Services Systems has a long track record in helping youth and families. Over 28,000 individuals have been helped through the compassion of this organization and we hope this incident last week will not detract from this work. We truly express our regret for the concern brought to out local residents about this incident. This incident didn't involve any of our programs, just the use of the convent. All activity has ceased at the convent which is again vacant. We will share future plans for this facility with the community."