When Cameron High School students learned three of their classmates had lost everything in a devastating fire last week, they knew they had to do something to help.
Students at Cameron High School are raising funds for the family who lost their pets and their home on Upton Avenue by holding a spaghetti dinner from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday at the high school. The proceeds of the dinner will help the family recoup after their loss and assist in purchasing clothes, food, furniture and a place to live, according to school librarian Pam Schimmel.
Schimmel said as soon as teachers heard about the fire, they immediately began collecting money by going around to classrooms. The senior class is also collecting for a separate fund to help the oldest daughter purchase a new prom gown to replace the dress destroyed by the fire. The family also has a child attending Cameron Elementary School.
From left, Cameron High School students Matthew Hall, Mikayla LeMasters and Irene Hatfield prepare tickets to a spaghetti dinner to be held Sunday at the high school to benefit a Cameron family whose home was destroyed by a fire last week.
"Cameron High takes care of Cameron High," Schimmel said. "When something happens we try to reach out and help. It's just the kind of people we are in Cameron. We come together as a family when there is a problem."
The dinner will include spaghetti, bread, drink and a salad and take-out orders are available.
Desserts baked by teachers at the high school will also be offered for sale at the event.
For more information on the event or to donate money, clothes, furniture or any other items to the family contact Cameron High School at 304-686-3336.