WHEELING- Wheeling firefighters responded to a fire call at about 10 a.m. today at The Linsly School in Woodsdale.
A firefighter on the scene said sparks from a welder working on a roof area of the building ignited some insulation.
"It didn't get very far," a firefighter said. "Some sparks from a welder came in contact with some insulation."
Wheeling Fire Department units stand ready in response to a report of insulation burning in the roof
section of a building at Linsly School.
He said workers assigned to watch for sparks during the welding process alerted school officials about the problem.
A school spokesman said she received an email saying "the fire alarm is not a drill."
Construction work at the school is part of Linsly's 200th Anniversary Campaign. The campus is undergoing a $5 million expansion project that has included renovations to the Stifel Field House, construction of a high tech presentation classroom with stadium style seating for 100, a new academic wing addition to Banes Hall, an alumni dining hall on the ground floor, library renovations, converting the existing library into a 21st information hub for students, and redesigned classrooms with improved technology.
The work is expected to be completed by the start of the 2014-15 school year.