WHEELING - Whether you compete in the Ogden Newspapers Half Marathon Classic or take a more leisurely approach to Memorial Day weekend, you are sure to find something to do in Wheeling.
Though the Ogden race events - set for Friday and Saturday, May 23-24 - are the showcase of the weekend, Race Director R."Scat" Scatterday wants everyone to know there is much more going on from May 23-26.
"There will be picnics, graduations, a bike race and all sorts of entertainment," he said. "This is the time for people to get out and enjoy Wheeling, while also honoring our veterans."
By 11 a.m. Friday, food vendors will set up in the Heritage Port area to feed those working in downtown Wheeling or anyone else looking to enjoy themselves at the waterfront. From 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., those participating in the Ogden race events can receive their packets at the waterfront.
The 6-mile Ogden Torch Relay begins at 4 p.m. Friday at the Osiris Shrine Temple in Elm Grove. The estimated two-hour event, which features military veterans and community leaders taking turns carrying a torch, culminates at the Half Marathon's start/finish line on14th Street in downtown Wheeling. Scatterday said the relay is designed to honor all members of the military, both past and present.
"We encourage anyone who wishes to honor a member of the military to come out and join us," he said.
Memorial Day Weekend Events
FRIDAY, MAY 23
- 11 a.m. - Vendors will set up along the Wheeling Water front
- 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. - Packet pickup for all races in the Ogden Newspapers Half Marathon Classic Run and Walk
- 4-6 p.m. - Ogden Torch Relay, Osiris Shrine Temple to Main Street
- 6:45 p.m. - Ogden Tiny Tot Trot, 14th Street
- 7:15 p.m. - Ogden Fun Run, top of Wheeling Hill
- 7:30 p.m. - Ogden Mile, Masters Mile, top of Wheeling Hill
- 7:30 p.m. - John Marshall High School graduation, Wes Banco Arena
- 7:45 p.m. - Memorial concert and honoring ceremony for all military veterans, with specific recognition for World War II and Korean War veterans, with the Allegheny Brass Band at the Heritage Port Stage
- 8 p.m. - Live music by Bridges at Towngate Theater & Cinema
- 6:15 a.m. - Packet pickup for all races in the Ogden Newspapers Half Marathon Classic Run and Walk
- 7:30 a.m. - Ogden Newspapers Half Marathon Classic walkers start, 14th Street
- 8 a.m. - Ogden Newspapers Half Marathon Classic runners and relay runners start, 14th Street
- 8:15 a.m. - Ogden 5K Run/Walk for Health, 14th Street
- 9 a.m. - Half Marathon finishing begins
- 9 a.m. - Music, food and vendors, Heritage Port
- 9 a.m. to noon - The Original Easy Street, free concert, Heritage Port Stage
- 9:30 a.m. - 5K awards, Heritage Port Stage
- 11 a.m. - Wheeling Central Catholic High School graduation, Anne Kuchinka Amphitheater, Oglebay Park
- 11:30 a.m. - Ogden Newspapers Half Marathon Classic awards ceremony, Heritage Port Stage
- 2 p.m. - Memorial Parade and bridge dedication honoring veterans, starting at the S. Bridge in Elm Grove
- 7 p.m. - Bone Daddy in concert playing classic rock, Heritage Port Stage
- 7 p.m. - "Jaws" at Towngate Theatre, presented by the Wheeling Film Society
SUNDAY, MAY 26
- 7 a.m. - Registration, Wheeling Heritage Trail Bicycle Tour
- 8 a.m. - Wheeling Heritage Trail Bicycle Tour begins for 100k riders
- 8:45 a.m. -Wheeling Heritage Trail Bicycle Tour begins for 30-mile riders
- 2:30 p.m. -The Linsly School, graduation, Stifel Field House
- 7 p.m. - Hit Play, free concert, Anne Kuchinka Amphitheater at Oglebay Park
MONDAY, MAY 27
- 11 a.m. - Memorial Day service, Heritage Port
- 11 a.m. - Memorial Day service, Marshall County Courthouse
- 11 a.m. - Memorial Day service, Benwood
- 7 p.m. - Ron Retzer, performance at Heritage Port
At 6:45 p.m. Friday, the non-competitive Ogden Tiny Tot Trot for children 5 years old and younger will occur on 14th Street between Main and Market streets. At 7:15 p.m. Friday, the Ogden Fun Run will kick off at the top of Wheeling Hill near the old Windmill building. This run consists of the last mile of the Half Marathon race course. At 7:30 p.m. Friday, the Ogden Mile and Masters Mile will begin in the same location.
At approximately 7:45 p.m. Friday, there will be a memorial concert and honor ceremony for all military veterans, with specific recognition for World War II and Korean War veterans, with the Allegheny Brass Band at the Heritage Port Stage.
While the Ogden events take place, John Marshall High School will conduct 2014 graduation ceremonies inside WesBanco Arena, starting at 7:30 p.m. Also, Oglebay Institute's Towngate Theatre will showcase local group Bridges, who will perform classic rock hits at 8 p.m.
"There will be a ton of people in the area, but we'll make it work," Scatterday said.
At 6:15 a.m. Saturday, participants in the Ogden Newspapers Half Marathon race events can receive their packets. The Half Marathon walk steps off at 7:30 a.m., followed by the main event - the Half Marathon run - at 8 a.m.
At 8:15 a.m. Saturday, the 5K Run and Walk for Health begins. The 5K awards ceremony is set for 9:30 a.m., with the Half Marathon awards ceremony at 11:30 a.m. at Heritage Port.
During race activities, The Original Easy Street will play a free concert on the Heritage Port Stage, beginning at 9 a.m. Saturday.
Wheeling Central Catholic High School will hold its graduation ceremony at 11a.m. Saturday at the Anne Kuchinka Amphitheater at Oglebay Park.
A Memorial Parade will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday starting at the S Bridge in Elm Grove to honor all veterans and to unveil bridges being dedicated to two local soldiers, Capt. David VanCamp and Sgt. Matthew Hunter, who both died while serving in Iraq.
At 7 p.m. Saturday, Bone Daddy will play a concert at Heritage Port, while Towngate theatre will present a showing of "Jaws" at the same time.
Registration for the Wheeling Heritage Trail Bicycle Tour begins at 7 a.m. Sunday at Heritage Port. Cyclists will begin their trek at 8 a.m. Also Sunday, The Linsly School will hold its graduation at 2:30 p.m. at the Stifel Field House.
Later Sunday, at 7 p.m., a free concert is scheduled at the Anne Kuchinka Amphitheater, featuring Hit Play.
On Monday, May 26, Memorial Day, a public memorial service is scheduled at 11 a.m. at Heritage Port with members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion and the Marine Corps League. In case of inclement weather, the service will be held at WesBanco Arena. A similar service also will be held at 11 a.m. in front of the Marshall County Courthouse in Moundsville, with another one at the Benwood City Park at the same time.
For more information on Ogden race events, go to www.ogdenhalfmarathonclassic.com.