Weir Gets Past John Marshall

Photo by Michael D. McElwain Weir’s Tyler Mack (32) tries to escape the grasp of John Marshall’s Jace Boggs (33).

WEIRTON — Weir High scored with 7:59 left on a spectacular 16-yard run by Tyler Mack and the defense made it stand up for a 29-26 victory over John Marshall on Friday at Jimmy Carey Stadium.

Facing their first quality opponent this season, the Red Riders moved to 3-0. They had 376 total yards of offense, including 166 rushing by Mack.

Junior quarterback Tyler Komorowski joined Mack in the bruising Weir ground attack. gaining 50 yards on 20 carries. He also passed for another 107 yards and a score. The touchdown pass was a 9-yard out to senior tight end Frank Ty Hudacheck.

The Red Riders also got a defensive touchdown when a John Marshall fumble popped into the hands of junior safety Reed Reitter, who scampered 77 yards.

Reitter also added three more points with a 44-yard field goal as time ran out in the first half to give Weir a 22-14 lead. It also put the Burgettstown transfer into the record books, topping the 43-yarders by Rob Canei (1982) and Seth Harpold (1990).

The Monarchs showed they came to play when they marched down the field after Reitter’s touchdown. Jordan Wood’s 12-yard keeper up the middle made the score 7-6.

The Red Riders responded on the next possession with a 34-yard ramble to the end zone by junior Garet Hostuttler. That lead didn’t last long, though, as John Davis returned Reitter’s kickoff 70 yards for a Monarchs touchdown.

A Wood to Chas McCool pass sealed the 2-pointer, giving John Marshall a 14-13 lead.

Weir responded with a 55-yard drive with the ensuing kick that ended with Hudacheck’s touchdown on a pass from Komorowski, which armed the Red Riders with a 19-14 lead.

Reitter’s field goal made it 22-14 at the half, but the Monarchs got a score midway through the third when senior Dereck Hess, who led John Marshall with 139 rushing yards, scampered 36 yards for a touchdown that narrowed the Weir lead to 22-20.

The Monarchs came right back two-and-a-half minutes later with a McCool blast over right tackle from 38 yards out to take the lead again at 26-22, setting up Mack’s game-winner in the fourth.

Weir 29, John Marshall 26

John Marshall 14 0 12 0 — 26

Weir 13 9 0 7 — 29

W — Reitter 77 fumble return (kick failed)

J — Wood 12 run (run failed)

W — Hostuttler 34 run (Reitter kick)

J — Davis 70 KO return (Wood pass to McCool)

W — Hudacheck 9 pass from Komorowski (run failed)

J — Hess 36 run (pass failed)

J — McCool 38 run (pass failed)

W — Mack 16 run (Reitter kick)

Rushing: John Marshall 28-195-3td (McCool 3-42-td, Hess 22-139-td, Wood 3-14-td). Weir 51-269-td (Mack 22-166-td; Hostuttler 7-50-td; Komorowski 20-50).

Passing: John Marshall 9-20-136-2x (all by Wood). Weir 9-20-107-td-2x (all by Komorowski).

Receiving: John Marshall 9-136 (Feil 1-16, McCool 3-53, Hess 2-42, Temple 1-9, Whitelatch 1-11). Weir 9-107-td (Hostuttler 1-5, Reitter 5-76, Hudacheck 1-9-1-td, Mack 1-9, Taflan 1-9).

First Downs: John Marshall 10, Weir 14.

Penalties: John Marshall 8-75, Weir 4-30.

Fumbles: John Marshall 2-2, Weir High 2-1.