Pats on the Back
– To volunteers who raised more than $225,000 for a project to improve the playground at Woodsdale Elementary School in Wheeling. The committee has received a commendation from Gov. Jim Justice and has been nominated for a Governor’s Service Award.
– To all involved in special events during the Labor Day Weekend — and especially to those who donate the proceeds to worthy causes. One is on Monday at The Highlands. It is the annual Dan Dague Memorial Car and Bike Show for Sight. Proceeds go to Lions Club sight initiatives.
– To New Life United Methodist Church, which plans to convert property along South Huron Street on Wheeling Island into the “Almost Heaven Biblical Botanical Garden.” Participation by other churches is being invited.
– To James Seibert of Wheeling, who has served as a federal magistrate since 1985, and is retiring from the position.
– To former Ohio County Circuit Judge James Mazzone, who stepped down from that position Friday to become Seibert’s successor at the Federal Building in Wheeling.