West Virginia considering work requirements for Medicaid
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — West Virginia is considering adding employment requirements for roughly 170,000 people covered by a component of the Affordable Care Act.
The Charleston Gazette-Mail reports state Health and Human Resources Deputy Secretary Jeremiah Samples said Friday the requirement would focus on able-bodied people if enacted.
Around 70 percent of Medicaid-expansion households include a working adult and the requirement would apply to the other 30 percent. It would “align” Medicaid with state programs that already have work requirements.
Federal officials said in a letter to governors that states are encouraged to submit waivers from a section of the Social Security Act under which the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services can waive certain Medicaid rules.
West Virginia anticipates it will submit a waiver application next year. Other state programs are being studied.
Information from: The Charleston Gazette-Mail, http://wvgazettemail.com.