×

Administrative Team in Place at EORH

Bernie Albertini, chief operating officer at East Ohio Regional Hospital, stands inside the hospital’s emergency room waiting area on Friday. Work continues to get the facility reopened. Photo by Shelley Hanson

MARTINS FERRY — While work to get East Ohio Regional Hospital ready for patients is still underway, the facility’s administrative team is now in place.

Bernie Albertini, chief operating officer, on Friday said the majority of the work being performed includes repairs to infrastructure. Work on the air conditioner chillers still is taking place. The fire alarm system also is being worked on.

Meanwhile, Albertini’s administrative team is now fully formed. Chris Kerwood of Glen Dale, who came out of retirement to work at EORH, is the chief nursing officer; Heather Borkoski of Belmont is the administrator of long term care; Missy Barcone of Steubenville is the corporate controller; Joan Ellen Kramer of Martins Ferry is the administrative assistant; Rod Nisperly of Wheeling is the computer network administrator; and as previously announced, Brad Simms of Claysville, Pa., is the safety director.

As work gets done, it also must be inspected for safety. Albertini said The Joint Commission will do a final inspection of both clinical and life-safety items before the hospital reopens.

“I’m not anticipating any problems,” Albertini said. “Since the hospital was closed they will treat it like a brand new opening.”

Meanwhile, on the clinical side, Albertini continues to work on getting the needed equipment for the laboratory and radiology. He conceded that because of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic sometimes it is difficult to reach people to obtain price quotes.

“The vendors are backed up because people are not working. … Some people are still working from home,” he added.

Albertini said when the hospital is ready and has passed all of its needed inspections, an official employee hiring event date will then be announced. As part of the proposed city income tax agreement with the city of Martins Ferry, EORH is expected to have at least 200 employee’s by the year’s end.

The income tax ordinance calls for giving back 75 percent of future employees earning back to EORH, with the city keeping the remaining 25 percent. Martins Ferry City Council is expected to consider the third and final reading during its July 15 meeting.

Alecto Healthcare Services of California closed EORH last September. The hospital was purchased from the property’s owner, Medical Properties Trust of Alabama, by Dayton-based psychiatrist Dr. John Johnson. The announcement of the sale was made May 17.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

COMMENTS