Pats on the Back
– To local businesses among those honored by the West Virginia Department of Commerce for successfully exporting products to new countries last year. Among them were American Muscle Docks and Fabrication in Wellsburg, Chestnut Hill Candle in Chester, Homer Laughlin China in Newell, Best Business Strategies in Glen Dale and four Wheeling firms: TROY Group, Wheeling Truck Centers, MEDI-KAL Resources and Direct Marketing.
– To area schools with special programs addressing students’ mental health needs — especially to those that enlist teenagers to help peers cope with difficult situations. One such initiative is at Wheeling Park High School, where counselor Jill Maloney explains, “The goal is to educate teens about mental health issues so they can help themselves and others to recognize if they or others are suffering.”
– To members of the Wheeling 250 Committee, who put together a year-long, varied program of observing the Friendly City’s 250th birthday.
– To all involved in the annual Super Six High School Football Championships, held last weekend at Wheeling Island Stadium. Once again, despite traffic challenges on Interstate 70, the event was a success.
– To the Wheeling Central Catholic High School football team, which last weekend won its third state championship in a row.