Weir Clobbers Anacostia, 71-20

Photo by Michael D. McElwain Weir’s Donavan Kirby carries a host of Anacostia defenders with him as he battles for more yardage Friday at Jimmy Carey Stadium.

WEIRTON — After a slow start, Weir pushed it into high gear and ran away from Washington, D.C., Anacostia, 71-20, to put the icing on a celebratory night that saw 29 of the 53 players from the 1998 state championship football team reunite with most of the coaching staff.

The Indians, playing their first game of the season, got into a hole early with a costly mistake on Reid Reitter’s opening kickoff and six first-quarter penalties that could be attributed to opening-game jitters. While they were trying to figure it out, the Red Riders, who were winning their second straight game by a lopsided score, put 15 points on the board in the first quarter.

“Here’s what I told the kids. I thought that early, we played to their level,” veteran Red Riders coach Tony Filberto said. “Good teams don’t play to somebody else’s level. We set the tone of the game. I don’t think we did that early, but once we got into the groove we showed what we can do.”

Senior quarterback Tyler Komorowski had one of the best games of his career as a quarterback. He hit on 12 of 16 throws, scoring four times through the air. He also scored the first touchdown of the game with his feet on an 8-yard run through right tackle after a nifty fake to running back Donavan Kirby. He then picked up a fumble from his defensive end position and ran it 15 yards to paydirt.

Komorowski connected with speedy receiver Sebastian Spencer on scoring tosses of 38, 33 and 33 yards, and also found Jake McCoy open on a fade route in the corner of the end zone from 18 yards out.

Spencer also scored on a 55-yard punt return.

Kirby scored on a 4-yard blast through right guard, and speedy junior Ste’von Semedo darted to two scores on almost identical runs of 22 yards each. Semedo was the leading ground gainer, with 53 yards on six carries.

The Red Riders defense allowed Anacostia to complete one pass for 29 yards, and freshman Carson Yobaggy intercepted a pass on the last play of the game. The Indians flashed a lot of speed, running the ball 31 times and to gain 222 yards on the ground. All three of their touchdowns came via the ground game.

Anacostia fell victim to a 31-point second-quarter scoring blitz by the Red Riders and trailed 46-14 at the half. After Weir High scored another 19 points in the third quarter to make the score 65-20, the officials invoked the mercy rule, ordering the clock to run continuously in the fourth period.

The Red Riders host Keyser for a 7 p.m. matchup on Friday.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)