Oak Glen Crushes Weir

Photo by Joe Catullo Oak Glen’s Paxton Shuman runs the ball during Friday’s game against Weir.

WEIRTON — Despite where Oak Glen and Weir find themselves this time of the 2020 football season, winning the Carl Hamill trophy always will mean something special for either side.

The Golden Bears took advantage of turnovers, fourth-down situations and another Hunter Patterson showcase for the ages during their 58-14 victory on Friday. Oak Glen (6-1) has won the trophy for the second consecutive season.

“It’s very special to us. There’s a lot of respect for the rivalry,” Oak Glen coach Ted Arneault said. “Weir High has a great tradition and a great program. To win it last year and keep this year is special for our kids. They’ve really worked hard.

“I have much respect for a young Weir High team that came out and battled in the first half. I think they’re on the right path to rolling on to success that they once had.”

The Golden Bears raced out to a 20-0 lead after one quarter and 40-8 at halftime. Patterson did most of the damage with four touchdowns (two rushing and two receiving). He finished with eight carries for 131 yards and three receptions for 55, and all 186 total yards came in the first half.

His lone contribution in the second half came on a 60-yard punt return for a score after the ball hit an Oak Glen player. With both teams scrambling for possession, Patterson picked up the bounce and was off.

“Hunter worked really hard in the weight room this offseason. He really bought into it, and that shows,” Arneault said. “His physical strength showed (Friday). He’s just a special kid on the field. He’s explosive as heck.”

Quarterback Nick Chaney threw those pair of TD passes to Patterson. Chaney did not have to do a lot, finishing with 74 passing yards on five completions. He did throw an interception to Anthony DiMatties in the first half, Oak Glen’s only turnover.

Paxton Shuman ran for a pair of touchdowns in the opening half on runs of 19 and 2 yards. He finished with 14 carries for 59 yards.

Patterson scored all three first-quarter touchdowns. The first came on a 7-yard strike from Chaney on 4th-and-goal. His second was a 6-yard run again on fourth down, set up by Gage Patterson’s interception. Hunter Patterson later caught a 51-yard TD pass with 5:09 left in the quarter.

“You have to convert in key situations, especially in the red zone because the field shortens down,” Arneault said. “What you’re able to do in the middle of the field changes when you get into the red zone. That’s something we faltered with against Wheeling Park, and that’s something we’ve really been working on. We’ve been able to capitalize on most of our red zone opportunities in the past few weeks and limit turnovers.”

After Shuman’s 19-yard TD run early in the second quarter (which concluded a 6-play, 97-yard drive), Weir (1-6) caught its rival off guard. DiMatteis found Gage Reitter wide open down the sidelines and raced 78 yards for a touchdown. Oak Glen led, 27-8, with 7:25 left in the opening half.

The Golden Bears made a statement not long after. Shuman ended the next drive with his second touchdown. Shortly after, Jordan Morris recovered a fumble on the ensuing kickoff, and Hunter Patterson ran for a 35-yard score.

Overall, the Red Riders turned the ball over five times, four in the first half. Oak Glen’s Quinton Isiah Franklin had a pick, Kyler O’Connor (playing for the first time in four weeks) recovered a fumble and Morris pounced on another late in the fourth quarter.

“We arguably may have just faced the Class A state champions (Wheeling Central last week) and the AA champions (Oak Glen on Friday) in back-to-back weeks,” Weir head coach Frank Sisinni said. “Coach Arneault and his staff have built a nice program. They’ve gone on the road and have played competitive games with only one loss. We’ve seen them on film, but to see them live … Hunter has gotten so much better. Their team has gotten better.

“Turnovers have been haunting us for the last two weeks now. We have a bye week to work on those.”

After Hunter Patterson’s punt return for a score in the third quarter, Carson Yobbagy caught an 18-yard TD from DiMatties. Later in the third, with Oak Glen’s backups in the game, Matt Greenlief ran for a 3-yard touchdown. Aiden Flowers closed the scoring with an 8-yard run in the fourth.

Weir High only was able to rush for 48 yards overall, with Corey Lyons leading the pack with 42 on 15 carries. DiMatteis threw for 149 yards. Reitter hauled in three passes for 117 yards and the score (all in the first half), while Yobbagy caught three for 32 yards and the final Red Rider touchdown (all in the second half).

“They did a great job scheming us up front, which caused us to have trouble moving the ball up front. It became unpredictable,” Sisinni said. “It really wasn’t in our favor (Friday), and you can’t do that against a team that’s playing at such a high level like Oak Glen.”


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)


Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today