Breaking News
Community

Callarik Speaks Out on Eminent Domain

By SHELLEY HANSON 5 min read
John Callarik sits inside his office inside the Chapter Square laundromat on Monday.

BRIDGEPORT - Village resident John Callarik wants people to know he will not back down from a pending eminent domain fight for his business properties beside the Bridgeport schools complex.

Callarik, a former village mayor, said he recently received a letter from the Bridgeport Exempted Village School District asking that he reconsider an earlier offer -- $700,000 -- on his property, which the district wants to purchase and use to build a new football stadium complex.

In the letter dated Dec. 18, Superintendent Brent Ripley explains the history of the existing football property, which is flood prone and had stadium seating torn down because of years of flood damage. Ripley wrote that the board recently voted to authorize the use of eminent domain in an effort to obtain property for construction of a new stadium, but that his door still is open to discuss the issue.

"I am confident that we can work together to build a better future for Bridgeport. In (the) meantime, the board will start moving forward with the necessary statutory procedures. Please contact me right away if you have any questions or concerns," Ripley wrote.

Ripley previously had declined to disclose the names of the two property owners the board was trying to make a deal with. He noted, however, that the properties were located next to the school.

Callarik said Monday that since the news about the district's plan to use eminent domain came out, he's received a lot phone calls and in-person comments of support from people in and around Bridgeport.

People have been signing a notebook inside his Chapter Square laundromat expressing their support. Though not an official petition, Callarik said it shows that he is not the only one who believes eminent domain is wrong. It now has more than 500 signatures.

Callarik said he is not against the school district or its students, but he has worked hard his entire life to build up his businesses there, which include a laudromat, tanning salon, car wash, 111 storage units, excavating service, two rental buildings, rental spaces and campers.

"My life has been and still is work. I never inherited my business. I bought the land and built all the buildings on it with my own hands and sweat from the ground up. It's my life," Callarik said.

Callarik said he has no plans to reconsider the board's previous offer. When asked if he would consider selling half of his acreage, he said "no."

Callarik said he believes the school board and superintendent have "tunnel vision" when it comes this issue. They "can't see the entire picture and the damaging effects economically to our community of businesses that would be devastating."

Once a board of education member himself, Callarik claimed maintenance of the existing stadium area and buildings has been neglected since he left office. The stadium seating that was torn down was 100 years old and made of wood. School officials said years of flooding from a nearby creek left it too damaged to salvage.

In reply to Callarik's comments regarding maintenance, Ripley on Monday said he could not speak to past maintenance records since he is new to the district, as is the maintenance director. However, the district did have an assessment of the structures done by an architect, M&G Architects and Engineers of Wheeling, that showed past floods had caused extensive damage to the stadium seating and concession stand.

Callarik believes the district should continue to look at other land possibilities and not tear down his life's work.

"I'm going to end my life here. I'm not going to let five people on a school board put it down. I feel this way about it," Callarik said while slamming his fist on his desk. "I fight. … Money doesn't mean nothing."

While visiting with patrons in the laundromat Monday, Callarik received warm greetings in the form of handshakes and hugs. One man, Carl Boyd of Mount Pleasant, came in just to sign Callarik's notebook of support.

"He's a good guy. He deserves to keep it," Boyd said of Callarik and his properties.

Ripley noted Monday that he recently checked out a piece of potential property that was brought to his attention. However, he said he could not discuss his assessment of it until he brought it before the school board at its next meeting, which is set for 5 p.m. today at its office.

He noted the decision of property acquisition ultimately lies with the board. Though there appears to be enough land at the site he visited, it is up to board members to decide whether the district could afford it and whether it would be best for the students, Ripley said.

The existing field area still is being used for baseball and junior high football games, as there is some portable seating available. However, a high school football game requires much more stadium seating, Ripley noted, and so the high school team played on fields owned by other schools this past season.

Starting at /week.