Community

Authorities ID Five People Killed in Pa. Turnpike Crash

MT. PLEASANT, Pa. — Five people were killed and dozens were injured in a crash early Sunday involving several vehicles on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. The fatal crash involving a tour bus, multiple tractor-trailers and passenger vehicles also injured about 60 people, according to Trooper Steve ...

Paramedic Killed In Separate I-70 Accident

SMITHTON, Pa. — Greg Cominsky knew his late colleague Matthew Smelser since Smelser was 14. They shared a passion for emergency medicine. “He was very work-oriented ... really good with patient care,” Cominsky said. “And let me tell you — if you were injured, that’s the face you ...

Wheeling Central Wins Drug-Free Schools Award

WHEELING — Halftime of the Wastach v. Roman Catholic game at the Cancer Research Classic brought more than a respite for players — local students were honored for producing a video on the dangers of drug abuse. “Many teens think prescription drugs are safer — they’re not,” ends ...

One Person Dead in Blaze at Home in Rayland

One man is dead following a house fire Thursday evening in Rayland. Smithfield Assistant Fire Chief Ricky Takach said the fire occurred around 5:40 p.m. at a home on Township Road 159. A man and woman were inside the residence at the time of the fire, he said. “Upon our arrival to ...

Ohio Judge Orders Halt To Dam Construction

A county judge in Ohio on Thursday ordered the owner of a Tuscarawas County dam to halt unapproved construction at the site after inspectors deemed the structure unsafe. Common Pleas Judge Edward O’Farrell’s order prohibits further construction to the Sleepy Hollow Lake Dam by owner ...

Thalman Sworn In as Mayor of St. Clairsville

ST. CLAIRSVILLE – Kathryn Thalman marked her swearing-in as the new mayor of St. Clairsville with exuberance and enthusiasm Thursday, when she took her oath of office at the J.B. Martin Recreation Center. A sizable crowd of friends, family, city employees, council members and police ...

Pedestrian Struck by Vehicle in Martins Ferry

MARTINS FERRY – A woman was cited and fined after a pedestrian was struck by a vehicle on News Year’s Day near the Subway restaurant in Martins Ferry. According to city Police Chief John McFarland, the incident occurred around 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at the corner of Fourth and Hanover ...

Jailing Inmates Outside Belmont County Continues at a Cost

ST. CLAIRSVILLE – The cost of housing inmates in the overcrowded Belmont County Jail continues to take a toll on county coffers, and this is expected to continue throughout 2020. On Thursday, the Belmont County Board of Commissioners renewed a contract with Jefferson County to house ...

Expanded CHIP Services Aim to Help Low-Income Mothers, Babies

MORGANTOWN — The West Virginia Children’s Health Insurance Program has added coverage for maternity services — a move that can greatly improve the health of the state’s low-income mothers and their babies, according to a West Virginia University pediatrician. “With pregnancy, our ...

World War I Lessons and Legacies for Libraries Display

WELLSBURG – The Brooke County Public Library will have eight posters related to World War I on display from now until May. “World War I: Lessons and Legacies” explores the history of the war and its lasting impact on American life. Sparked by the assassination of one man, the war ...

Wheeling Elks Students of the Month Announced

WHEELING – Wheeling Elks Lodge No. 28 has announced its Students of the Month for December and January. The December winners are Kylie Pell and Michael Borkoski, both seniors at The Linsly School. For January, Elizabeth Dierkes and Jacob Estep, both seniors at Wheeling Central Catholic ...

Seniors Celebrate New Year’s Early

BELLAIRE – Senior citizens from Bellaire and Centerville rang in the New Year Tuesday afternoon with a preview of a New Year’s Eve party during a gathering with cheers and celebration at the Bellaire Senior Center. “We started this last year, this is our second year. We get more seniors ...

Horse Rescued From Freezing Pool in Belmont

BELMONT – Multiple fire departments responded Monday morning to help save a horse that had fallen into a pool. Bethesda Volunteer Fire Department Public Information Officer Dick Quinlin said the incident occurred before 10 a.m. Monday at Plainfield Road near Belmont. “The very severe ...

AMA Offers 10 Health Resolutions for New Year’s

As the new year arrives, the American Medical Association is offering 10 recommendations to help Americans make the most impactful, long-lasting improvements to their health in 2020 and beyond. “With too many holiday sweets and not enough exercise likely in the rearview mirror, now is the ...

Ways to Celebrate the New Year, New Decade in the Ohio Valley

MARTINS FERRY – Those hitting the town this New Year’s Eve won’t just be celebrating a new year, but a new decade as well. And for people looking to celebrate a little extra there are some places to go to ring in both occasions. Those who like to celebrate earlier in the day with their ...

WVU Medicine Children’s Teaming Up With Wheeling Hospital for NICU Care

WHEELING – A partnership between WVU Medicine Children’s and Wheeling Hospital will result in the most advanced neonatal intensive care unit in the area. “We are committed to serving the Wheeling community and partnering to provide the services needed,” said Dr. Mark Polak, the ...

Free Cab Rides Available During New Year’s Holiday

MOUNDSVILLE – Local residents can be confident they have a sober ride home as they celebrate the New Year. For anyone who has had too much to drink, they can call a taxi and request the “Booze & Cruise, You’ll Lose” cab and Gold, Khourey & Turak will pay for the ride home. ...

I-C Care in Wheeling Has Christmas Campaign

I-C Care, In-Home Companion Care, had the pleasure of traveling to the Ohio Valley last week to surprise Ohio Valley World War II veterans with blankets and Christmas carols, as part of the “I-C Care Christmas Campaign — Warm Wishes for World War II Veterans.” I-C Care visited private ...